THE Wesley Methodist Women’s Association (WA) celebrated their hundredth year last week by inviting all past members and representatives of sister churches which have women’s organisations to a special tea in the Dugmore Hall.
The invitation indicated “hats and gloves” and most complied, with some inventive creations adding to the happy, relaxed atmosphere.
The WA in Komani was founded in 1916 by Mrs CS Franklin, wife of the minister at the time, and for some time there was also an evening WA for those who could not attend during working hours, but the two have amalgamated again.
They meet once a month for fellowship and do not raise funds as such, but they help other fund-raising efforts in the church such as catering for functions, bazaars, teas for funerals and so on and from donations they obtain the small amounts they need for feeding schemes, food kitchens, knitting and other projects.
There were special cupcakes at the tea and Queen’s College boys entertained with their musical eisteddfod items.
VIP guests included members of the district executive Marie Trumble and Daphne Schultz from Gonubie, some past district presidents Louise de Beer, Sharon Jonker from Colchester, locals Rosanne Alt and Kathy Smith, past member Peggy Brown from Cathcart and former branch president Cecily Wakeford from Port Elizabeth made a special effort to attend.
Present minister Craig Bell sketched the history of the WA, Marie Trumble encouraged members to continue with the good work and current president Antoinette Godley welcomed everyone and thanked them for attending.