Family left homeless after blaze

    Unathi Dubeni Picture: ABONGILE SOLUNDWANA

    A NEWVALE family whose house caught alight, allegedly after the power returned following an outage, is desperate for aid.

    Unathi Dubeni, who lives with five children which includes three of her own and two of her sister’s children, said the fire started moments after the electricity was restored on Tuesday.

    She said she had reported the outage to the Enoch Mgijima technical services team on Monday but that they did not arrive.

    On Monday the entire Newvale area was still without power and on Tuesday, she left home to make food for her children at her boyfriend’s home. Her boyfriend noticed that her house was on fire, and the fire brigade was called.

    Her five-year-old twins were at home but escaped unharmed after being helped by her relative and  neighbour Monwabisi Dubeni.

    The fire brigade arrived but could not put out the blaze, destroying all the furniture, clothing and food.

    Dubeni is unemployed with her children surviving on grants.

    She is looking for food and clothing for a boy aged 13, two girls aged 10 and 7, the twins – a boy and a girl – aged 5.

    Ward Councillor Ongama Adonisi who is assisting the family said the Enoch Mgijima Municipality said they would look into the matter.

    Anyone able to assist can contact Adonis on 083 991 5638

    Leave a Reply