Family in shock after tragic find at military base

A family in Mlungisi’s R section are mourning the death of their loved one following the ‘shocking’ discovery of the lifeless body of a 30-year-old male at the old military base on Sunday afternoon.

According to a cousin of the deceased, Bulelwa Oyiya, it was a casual Sunday morning and the deceased – Luvuyo Happy Oyiya – was preparing to go to church. “He was ironing his clothes around 9am and the electricity went off due to load shedding. He then left before everyone in the house and that was the last we saw of him.”

The cousin said the police arrived at their door around 1pm to inform the family about the tragic discovery. “They told us a group of children playing in one of the vandalised buildings at the army base had made the discovery. Fortunately one of the police officials had seen him in our area before and, after asking around in our neighbourhood, they knew where to find us.”

She said they were told that the deceased, who was found half-naked, sustained head injuries and his phone was missing. “We are all still in shock. Happy was a friendly person who loved to sing and he was friends with everyone. Our question is why would someone want to hurt a person like him?”

She added that the deceased used to sew for a living, a skill he had acquired after undergoing a skills development programme. “He had started making business from this skill and was someone who would just leave the house and not say where he was going. We are still wondering why his body was found in that area and are trying to get information of our own so we can assist the police who are also doing their best with the investigation.” She said they were waiting for the post-mortem for the cause of death.

Eastern Cape police spokesman Captain Khaya Tonjeni said Komani police had opened a case of murder which was under investigation. “It is alleged the victim was last seen on Sunday, March 17 while he was preparing to go to church. He left home and never reached the church. The body had a few bruises and an autopsy will ascertain the cause of death. There are no arrests yet and the investigation continues,” said Tonjeni.

Happy will be laid to rest next week.

Leave a Reply