Two youths’ quarrel ends in bloodshed

A quarrel believed to be drug related has led to the death of a young man who was stabbed to death in Mlungisi on Friday.

According to police spokesperson, Captain Namhla Mdleleni, the police are investigating a case of murder. It is alleged that the suspect and the deceased were together when a quarrel ensued. “The suspect stabbed the deceased in his lower body and he died on the scene,” said Mdleleni.

The Rep spoke to the mother of the suspect who indicated that the altercation between her 21-year-old son and the deceased started a month ago when the deceased had apparently stabbed her son first, to which her son retaliated.

I tried to sit them down to address the situation. I work out of town. When I came home a few weeks ago I heard they had been fighting and there is just no other reason besides fighting over drugs. I asked my son if he had reported this to the police because he claimed that this boy stabbed him first. I did not know what to do because as soon as these boys start smoking drugs they become unruly. When this incident happened, they were smoking together and a fight started. I had gone to the shops and when I came back I was told this had happened and the other boy was already dead,” she said.

This pains me. I do not know what to do. I do not know if I should go back to work, but what will I eat if I am without a job?” she asked.

Ward 14 councillor, Anele Seyisi, who was also at the scene called a group of community members to briefly address the issue of substance abuse, known to be common in the area.

In a crime-related matter, there is no other way but to let police deal with the problem. When a person is proven guilty we are happy, regardless of what happened. Drugs remain a problem. They result in what has happened in this community today. They result in robbery, sexual assault and other crimes.” Seyisi said a community meeting was called again this week for residents to come up with solutions to the problem.

Mdleleni said the suspect was arrested and will appear before the Queenstown magistrate’s court soon.

Leave a Reply