The South African Breweries (SAB) has denied that the alcohol busted on its trucks in Gauteng was meant for sale.
In a statement issued by the company, it claimed that the alcohol seized by police was being moved to other storage sites owned by SAB.
On Wednesday, Gauteng premier David Makhura’s office said five trucks belonging to SAB had been impounded and several arrests made, after the said trucks had been found leaving the company’s depots in Pretoria and the West Rand, this according to the TimesLIVE.
“The South African Breweries can confirm that it is aware of the arrests of seven of its employees, two third-party drivers, as well as the impounding of various loads on the morning of April 8.
“The movement of the alcohol at our seven breweries is specifically provided for in the lockdown regulations. This pre approved plan is aimed at ensuring the safety of our employees, the communities around our operations, the environment and our inventory.
“The alcohol in transit at the time of arrest and seizure was packed inventory which had to be moved to an SAB-owned offsite storage facility as our warehouse storage capacity at the breweries had reached permissible limits. The alcohol was not for sale or distribution and was always in SAB’s possession.
“SAB wishes to assure government and the public that it is not in contravention of law, and takes seriously the president’s call to lockdown the country to safeguard our people’s health and wellness,” read the statement.
SAB said they have since engaged the department of trade and industry together with SAPS to clarify their wind down measures and produced their approvals and permits.