After President Cyril Ramaphosa’s ground-breaking declaration of a national shutdown last night, a number of businesses and services will not operate until April 16.
Here is a list of those that will continue to operate.
Those who work in emergency services:
- Health workers, both public and private
- Emergency personnel
- Security services including police, traffic officers, military medics and soldiers
- Workers in power maintenance, water and telecommunications
- Laboratory services
- Providers of medical and hygiene products
- Pharmacies and other health care providers
- Petrol stations
- The Johannesburg Stock Exchange
Ramaphosa said a full list of emergency service personnel would be published.