R130 000 bail for alleged molester

A casino manager accused of sexually molesting two boys, aged 12 and 15 years, near Bonkolo Dam was granted R130 000 bail in the Queenstown magistrate’s court on Monday.

The Rep reported (Victim ‘raped’ kids, July 19) that the manager’s arrest was sparked by a 12-year- old boy who had allegedly raped five children (four boys and one girl) between the ages of seven and eight at R section, Mlungisi. It is alleged that the 12-year-old is one of the manager’s victims. The Rep would also like to clarify that the accused is not a hotel manager as reported, but rather an employee in the entertainment section of the institution.

The bail hearing was postponed due to the absence of the investigating officer who failed to appear in court on three occasions.

During the bail hearing proceedings, Magistrate Ganasen Narayamsy indicated that the state had dismally failed to place any information at the disposal of the court. “Indeed it is noted by this honourable court that the manner in which this bail application was conducted showed a lack of commitment.”

The court is satisfied that the interests of justice permit the release of the applicant on R150 000 bail on condition that the applicant hands over any passport he may have to the state and that he does not leave the jurisdiction of the honourable court without the permission of the investigating officer. In the event of a change of address the applicant must inform the investigating officer. The applicant must not interfere with any witnesses. The applicant must not have any contact whatsoever with the complainant and/or any minor boy with whom he has no relationship and must report to the Queenstown Police station every Friday.”

The accused’s advocate Mark Botha requested that bail be reduced to at least R10 000 or R15 000. “The quantum that is set should be an amount that the accused is able to pay. The court has seen his income of R20 000 per month and his expenses are of such a nature that they take up all of his income. The court has already found that the accused is, clearly, not a flight risk. I think the amount that is set is out of reach of the accused.”

Narayamsy requested a statement detailing the accused’s income and expenditure to be placed before the court. The matter stood down and reconvened later. The court then decided that the appropriate amount, having regarded the accused’s affidavit and the income and expenditure statement, be reduced to R130 000.

The mother of the 12-year-old victim, who was present at the hearing, hoped justice would prevail. “My son has told me details of how it all happened. This has been going on since last year. He has damaged our children. Things are the way they are now because of him,” she said.

The case was postponed to August 23 for further investigation.

Leave a Reply