Church reaches out to fire victims

The Cathedral of St Michael and All Angels Mothers’ Union were bearing gifts for Newvale fire victims recently.

Members of the congregation said they had read a report in The Rep (Family left with nothing after fire, July 5) about a blaze caused by a paraffin stove that had completely destroyed a family home in Newvale. The congregants made a donation of food items plus blankets, clothes and appliances to the family in need.

Parish leader, Nompumelelo Dantile, said one of their union objectives was to help those who were faced with adversity. “This objective means we have outreach programmes where we go out and touch people’s lives. A member of one of our units informed us about the article in The Rep and we were all touched and decided to help.”

The Rep also reported (Councillor and EPWP trainees to the rescue, July 19) that trainees of the Expanded Public Works Programme (EPWP) used the premises to conduct their practical training sessions in carpentry, bricklaying, plumbing and painting. This was a suggestion made by ward 13 councillor Ongama Adonis, which had, in turn, benefited the family.

Adonis expressed his gratitude towards everyone who had taken the initiative to contribute: “particularly the trainees of the expanded public works programme who assisted with the refurbishment of the structure, the church congregation for the donation of much-needed items, the ward committee and the neighbours for their continued support,” he said.

Home owner Boyce Mrwebi said the family had been staying at a neighbour’s house and thought of building a shack as they were desperate for a shelter. “We didn’t know where to start. We did not expect such positive results. I am truly thankful to everyone who helped us. We have moved back to our home, even though we still do not have windows or a proper toilet. We are very grateful for what we have received. Our 14-year-old daughter is now also living with us and her school managed to get her books and school uniform,” said Mrwebi.

Leave a Reply